Ready to indulge in Christmas delicacies at the annual Frankfurt Birmingham Christmas Market?
Then come on down to Victoria Square along New Street and soak up authentic German Christmas culture this festive season!
Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market has become a fixture in the annual West Midlands calendar.
Both locals and tourists love spending the snowy winter months in Birmingham at this joyous event!
If you’re visiting Birmingham this festive season, get to know the City Centre and all it has to offer!
The winter season in Birmingham is the perfect time to visit these fantastic Ice Skating Venues.
This Article Contains
- Are There Any Hotels Near the Market?
- Is Birminghams Christmas Market Accessible to All People?
- What Facilities are Available at the Market?
- What Other Attractions are near the Birmingham Christmas Market?
- Is there any Transport Available near the Market Venue?
- Are there any other Christmas Markets in Birmingham?
Information about Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market 2022
The Frankfurt Market evolved from the Austria Birmingham Market, which had been around for centuries. Visitors have loved these markets for years, and you shouldn’t miss out on this year’s edition!
Below is all the essential information and latest news about the Frankfurt Christmas market 2022:
Address: Victoria Square, New Street, Birmingham B1 1BD, United Kingdom
Dates: November 4th – December 23rd (subject to change – visit website for latest news)
Ticket Fees: Free entry
What to do at Birmingham’s Frankfurt Christmas Market
The Birmingham German Christmas market is all about spending time with friends and family, eating delicious food, and enjoying the crisp, snowy air.
Enjoy festive activities with your loved ones, visit the Christmas craft market, and indulge in authentic German cuisine this Christmas season.
1. What to Eat and Drink at the Market
Germany was one of the first countries to celebrate Christmas communally in the late 1300s. A lot of traditional German cuisine is still enjoyed around Christmas time today.
Take a look at the menu of the Birmingham Frankfurt market, and indulge in the following festive German delicacies:
- Bratwurst and Bretzel: This wouldn’t be an authentic German market without a good sausage and bretzel (pretzel) combo! German food has become famous worldwide because of its unique and delicious taste.
- Warm Gluhwein: Gluhwein is a traditional and much-loved hot mulled wine drink that’s always on the menu during the festive season in Germany. Brewed with various spices like cinnamon and cloves, the red wine comes out rich, creamy, and potent!
- German Beers: The Germans are known for many things, one of which is their love and appreciation of good beer – from pale ales to Weizenbocks to wheat beer! If you can’t make it to Oktoberfest this year, grab a crisp beer to drink at this festive German market!
- Churros: The Christmas season is a time for sweet and chocolatey desserts. Churros are the warm, sweet snack of choice at the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas market.
2. What to Buy at the Market
Traditional handicrafts and ornaments are synonymous with a German Christmas Market. So stop by a stall or two and grab a few of these fun toys to decorate your home this festive season!
- Christmas Ornaments: While strolling through this German market, you’ll pass traders selling beautiful ornaments for decorating your Christmas tree at home!
All traditional German handicrafts like nutcrackers, paper stars, handcrafted wooden decorations, and nativity scenes will be displayed.
- Gingerbread Cookies: Is there any treat that screams Christmas quite as much as a traditional gingerbread biscuit?
Cookies are a staple in any Christmas diet, and you simply don’t want to miss out on these traditional German gingerbread treats!
You must buy a pack of these to enjoy once you return from the market.
- Artisanal Goods: Traders love a Christmas craft market and always come to sell their wares. If you’re looking to buy some gifts for your loved ones before Christmas day, look out for sales from local artisans.
Handcrafted wooden decorations, funny prints, and Christmassy candles will all be available for purchase.
3. What to Do at the Market
You can expect the following amazing activities at the German Christmas market:
- The Big Wheel: One of the most popular attractions at the Frankfurt Christmas market Birmingham is the giant Ferris wheel.
The Birmingham city council sets the wheel up in Centenary Square on Broad Street, less than 10 minutes away from Victoria Square. You can get a birds-eye-view of the snowy city after hopping on this fun ride.
- Ice Skating: Just beside the Big Wheel in Centenary square will be a quaint Birmingham ice rink, which is set up every Christmas season.
Ice skating is the perfect festive activity to enjoy with your loved ones. So get your skates and glide through the winter months at the annual Birmingham Christmas ice rink.
- Carousel Rides: A sign of any great Christmas market is whether or not they have a horse carousel available for visitors.
The Frankfurt Christmas market Birmingham has a carousel that you simply cannot miss out on.
- Christmas Carols and Live Music: Sing some carols with your friends and family to raise the Christmas spirit. Alternatively, cozy up with a cup of warm Gluhwein and listen to the wonderful Christmas jazz at the market.
FAQs About Birminghams Frankfurt Christmas Market
Planning to visit the Christmas market this year?
Here are a few more essential details:
1. Are There Any Hotels Near the Market?
If you want to stay at a hotel near the city centre, there are a few, ranging from low to high budget, for you to choose from:
|Ibis Styles Birmingham
|Staybridge Suites Birmingham
|The Grand Hotel Birmingham
2. Is Birminghams Christmas Market Accessible to All People?
As the entire Christmas market is located in Victoria Square, there is access from all entrance points for disabled visitors.
Steps can be easily avoided, and the Birmingham city council will ensure that there is accessibility for all.
3. What Facilities are Available at the Market?
The Birmingham Frankfurt market is not only one of the busiest markets in the West Midlands, but the entire United Kingdom. These facilities will accommodate your visit:
- There is plenty of parking in the vicinity of the Christmas Market, specifically near Centenary Square and Broad Street.
- There are accessible toilet facilities available on site.
- There are scooter and wheelchair loans available at the ShopMobility centre located in the Bullring and Grand Central (10 minutes from Victoria Square).
4. What Other Attractions are near the Birmingham German Christmas Market?
The Christmas market is located in the Birmingham city centre. There will be plenty of other attractions for you to visit within walking distance like:
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery
- Birmingham Library
- National Sea Life Centre Birmingham
- Cathedral Square, Business District
- Birmingham City Science Museum
- Ikon Gallery
- Cadbury World
5. Is there any Transport Available near the Market Venue?
There are multiple bus and train stations near Victoria Square, in the Birmingham city centre, that will take you where you need to go:
Bus: Navigation Street Bus Stop (3 mins), Brunel Street Bus Stop (3 mins)
Train: Town Hall Tram Stop (2 mins), Grand Central Train Station (4 mins)
6. Are there any other Christmas Markets in Birmingham?
The Frankfurt Christmas Market is undoubtedly the biggest festive celebration in the United Kingdom.
But there are other great Christmas markets you can attend in Birmingham like:
- Christmas in Cathedral Square: On Christmas day, around 50 independent traders gather in the Birmingham City Centre, on the grounds of the Birmingham Cathedral, looking to sell wares and spread festive joy.
Cathedral Square is found in the Colmore Business District, which has quickly become one of the trediest parts of Birmingham city. The area has great restaurants, an art gallery or two, and a fantastic Christmas market to enjoy.
- Christmas at City Social: Christmas at City Social is one of the most unique festive markets you can attend because of its quirky location.
This market is ocated underneath the Suffolk St. Queensway Underpass, just outside the business district. Come for great food, jazzy music, and wonderful stall vendors.
- Attic’s Indie Winter Market: This market takes place at the Attic Brewing Company in Birmingham’s “it” neighbourhood. The Indie Market celebrates Christmas with great wheat beer, live music, and a taphouse stall.
- Christmas in the Jewellery Quarter: Christmas in the Jewellery Quarter is a true wonderland of lights, music, cookies and treats, and other joyous festivities.
Note: If you’re in the area, check out the magical Manchester Christmas market.