The 2022 Commonwealth Games – ‘the Friendly Games’ is taking place in Birmingham city and a few other parts of the UK, from 28 July to 8 August 2022.
The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games will showcase the very best of Global Britain to the world – a region that boasts accessibility, inclusivity, and a vibrant local community.
Whether you’re a supporter of Team England or just a fan of sports, this is an event you don’t want to miss out on!
In this article, find out everything you need to know about the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.
Plan your tourism itinerary around these Exciting Things To Do In Birmingham
Travelling from London to Birmingham? Here’s How Far Birmingham Is From London
This Article Contains:
- Commonwealth Games 2022: A Quick Intro
- Commonwealth Games 2022: Sports, Venues, and Schedule
- How to Get Tickets for the Commonwealth Games 2022
- Preparation for the Commonwealth Games 2022
- Other FAQs About The Commonwealth Games Birmingham
Commonwealth Games 2022: A Quick Intro
The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games is officially known as the XXII Commonwealth Games. Like the Olympic Games, the Commonwealth Games feature all major sports, including squash, athletics, badminton, table tennis, etc.
Where are the main competition venues for the Commonwealth Games 2022?
Which countries are participating in the Commonwealth Games 2022?
As of 10 May 2022, 59 out of 72 Commonwealth Games Associations will be sending athletes to the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
This includes every major Commonwealth country, including South Africa, Canada, Northern Ireland, Kenya, Malta, Singapore, New Zealand, and many more.
How was the host city for the 2022 Games selected?
The host city was selected through a rigorous bidding process.
For the 2022 Commonwealth Games, Durban (South Africa) and Edmonton (Canada) were the only two cities to launch bids. However, Edmonton withdrew its proposal in 2015, leaving Durban as the sole bidder for the event.
In 2017, Durban withdrew its bid because of financial constraints. Consequently, the bidding process was relaunched, with Birmingham, Liverpool, and Manchester expressing their interests in hosting the Games.
In fact, a joint bid from Birmingham, Liverpool, London and Manchester was also considered.
However, Birmingham was granted sole hosting rights in December 2017 after the city submitted a successful proposal.
Commonwealth Games 2022: Sports, Venues, and Schedule
Here’s a table summarising the sports, venues, and schedule of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games:
|Opening ceremony||Alexander Stadium||28 July 2022|
|Swimming||Alexander Stadium||29 July – 3 August 2022|
|Diving||Sandwell Aquatics Centre||4 August – 8 August 2022|
|Athletics||Sandwell Aquatics Centre||July 30 and 2 August – 7 August 2022|
|Badminton||National Exhibition Centre||29 July – 8 August 2022|
|3×3 Basketball||Smithfield||20 July – 2 August 2022|
|Beach Volleyball||Smithfield||30 July – 7 August 2022|
|Marathon||Smithfield – Victoria Square||30 July 2022|
|Boxing||National Exhibition Centre||29 July – 4 August 2022, 6 August – 7 August 2022|
|Cricket||Edgbaston Cricket Ground||29 July – 31 July 2022, 2 August – 4 August 2022, 6 August – 7 August 2022|
|Mountain Biking||Cannock Chase||3 August 2022|
|Road Cycling||Cannock Chase||4 August 2022 and 7 August 2022|
|Track Cycling||Lee Valley VeloPark||29 July – 1 August 2022|
|Cycling Time Trials||West Park||N/A|
|Artistic Gymnastics||Arena Birmingham||29 July – 2 August 2022|
|Rhythmic Gymnastics||Arena Birmingham||4 August – 6 August 2022|
|Hockey||University of Birmingham||29 July – 8 August 2022|
|Judo||Coventry Arena||1 August – 3 August 2022|
|Lawn Bowls||Victoria Park||29 July – 6 August 2022|
|Netball||NEC Arena||29 July – 7 August 2022|
|Para Powerlifting||National Exhibition Centre||4 August 2022|
|Rugby Sevens||Coventry Arena||29 July – 31 July 2022|
|Squash||University of Birmingham||29 July – 8 August 2022|
|Table Tennis||National Exhibition Centre||29 July – 8 August 2022|
|Triathlon||Sutton Park||29 July and 31 July 2022|
|Weightlifting||National Exhibition Centre||29 July – 2 August 2022|
|Wrestling||Coventry Arena||5 August – 6 August 2022|
|Closing Ceremony||Alexander Stadium||8 August 2022|
How to Get Tickets for the Commonwealth Games 2022
You can get Commonwealth Games Birmingham tickets by creating a ticketing account on Birmingham2022.com.
Tickets for the Commonwealth Games 2022 are being sold on a first-come, first-served basis, so you’ll need to act swiftly if you want to support your Commonwealth country in the stands.
How much do the Commonwealth Games tickets cost?
Tickets start from £8 for under 16s and £15 for adults. However, you must be over 18 years old to buy a ticket.
If you don’t live in one of the UK home nations, you’ll need to check out your country’s Commonwealth Games Associations’ ticketing arrangements.
And don’t worry, there are no additional fees once you’ve got your ticket. In fact, if you’re attending a sporting event in the West Midlands, your Games ticket gives you access to public transport in the area on the event day.
Last but not least, ensure you don’t purchase Commonwealth Games tickets from unofficial agencies or websites as this is prohibited, and your tickets will be considered invalid.
And you certainly don’t want to miss out on the action!
Preparation for the Commonwealth Games 2022
Preparation for the Games is being carried out by the Birmingham Organising Committee for the 2022 Commonwealth Games (BOCCG), which has its headquarters in One Brindleyplace.
The committee is responsible for arranging the sport venues, ticket sales, opening and closing ceremonies, The Queens Baton Relay, and other logistics.
Here are a few other aspects the Birmingham Organising Committee has prepared for the event:
- Housing: All athletes and team officials will stay in campus villages located at the University of Birmingham, The University of Warwick, and The NEC Hotel Campus.
- Transport: The A34 flyover and the National Express Bus Depot in Perry Barr will be demolished to create space for housing, specific sports, and improved public transport services. Renovations are underway for the University railway station, and a cross-city bus route will be provided by the Transport for West Midlands and the West Midlands Combined Authority Board.
- Financing: The British Government announced that the entire sporting event will cost around £778 million, less than the amount spent on the Gold Coast 2018 (2018 Commonwealth Games). The British Government will cover 75% of the costs while the Birmingham City Council will cover 25%. Sport England will be investing £35 million as well.
- Ticketing: In 2019, the British Government introduced the Commonwealth Games bill, which banned the sales of unauthorised Games tickets. Over one million tickets are expected to be sold for the games.
- Security: Approximately 3,000 officers will patrol the 2022 Commonwealth Games. 1,000 of which belong to the West Midlands Police force. The remaining 2,000 are part of a “mutual aid” arrangement with other Great Britain and UK forces.
- Countdown clock: The countdown clock is a special feature that draws excitement to the Games from across the globe. Sponsored by the Swiss Watchmaker Longines, this year’s countdown clock is shaped like a ‘B’ – representing the Birmingham Games’ logo.
Other FAQs About The Commonwealth Games Birmingham
Here are the answers to some burning questions about the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games:
1. Is there a para Commonwealth Games 2022?
The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games will feature the most para sport in Commonwealth Games history.
Some para sport events you can expect are wheelchair basketball, para-athletics, para swimming, para-cycling track, para-table tennis, para-triathlon, para lawn bowls and para powerlifting.
2. Where are the next Commonwealth Games after Birmingham?
During this year’s Commonwealth Games, the Commonwealth Games Federation flag will be handed over to representatives of Victoria (Australia) – the hosts of the 2026 Commonwealth Games.
The 2026 Commonwealth Games will take place in five regions in Victoria, namely: Melbourne, Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat and Gippsland.
3. What is the motto of the 2022 Commonwealth Games, commonly known as Birmingham 2022?
The motto for the 2022 Commonwealth Games is ‘Games for Everyone.’ The motto resembles the Games’ emphasis on creating a level playing field for men and women and creating equal opportunities for athletes with disabilities.
4. What is the emblem for the 2022 Commonwealth Games?
The logo or emblem for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games is a blue and yellow “B” that visually connects all the competition venues in Birmingham.
The locations represented in the design include Stourbridge, Cannock, Sutton Coldfield, Walsall, Wolverhampton, West Bromwich, Birmingham, Solihull, Royal Leamington Spa and Coventry.
The emblem’s bold colours showcase Birmingham’s youthful character and dynamic spirit.
5. What is the mascot for the 2022 Commonwealth Games?
The mascot for the Birmingham Commonwealth Games is a colourful bull named Perry. The mascot’s design is inspired by ten-year-old Emma Lou’s drawing that she created during a competition back in 2020.
The competition required children aged 5-15 to create a mascot that reflects the unique identity and culture of Birmingham and the West Midlands.
Interestingly, Perry is the first Commonwealth Games mascot that can be brought to life through augmented reality. This gives fans worldwide the opportunity to take photos with him, use special filters on social media, and even summon a 3D version of him into any room!
6. Who are the sponsors of the 2022 Commonwealth Games?
Here’s a list of sponsors for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games:
- OCS Group UK
- Sports Technology
- Riedel Communications
- Sunset + Vine
- NVT Group
- CSM Live
- RGS Events
- And, others.
7. How to become a Batonbearer for the 2022 Commonwealth Games
You need to be nominated by a friend or family member to become a Batonbearer for Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. The nominator must complete and submit the ‘Batonbearer’ Nomination form and explain why they’ve chosen this specific nominee.
Batonbearers must be United Kingdom citizens or have permission to reside in the United Kingdom between 2 June-28 July 2022. Additionally, batonbearers must be 12 years old or older.
8. How to volunteer for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies
Volunteer applications to the 2022 Commonwealth Games are now closed.
The Commonwealth Games Organising Committee was also looking for 13,000 volunteers, also known as the Commonwealth Collective, to assist with various jobs like first aid, driving, meet and greets, venue preparation, kit carrying, and more.
9. What is the official Commonwealth team of the UK?
Team England is the official team of the UK and is managed by Commonwealth Games England.
10. Who has broadcasting rights?
Here’s a list of networks that have broadcasting rights for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games:
|Sky New Zealand||New Zealand and the Pacific Islands|
The above networks have exclusive rights to broadcast the entire event and report on the latest news.
11. What is the Commonwealth Connections project?
Launched by the British Council and The Birmingham Commonwealth Games Organising Committee, the Commonwealth Connections project aims to use sport and art to help young people connect with the values of the Commonwealth.
12. Which country will host the 7th Commonwealth Youth Games in 2023?
The Commonwealth Games Federation is considering Trinidad and Tobago (Port of Spain) as the host for the 2023 Commonwealth Youth Games event.
13. What is the difference between the Olympic Games and the Commonwealth Games?
The Olympic Games is an international event that allows countries that have signed the Olympic charter for fair sports to participate.
On the other hand, Commonwealth Games is restricted to members of the Commonwealth and their territories.
14. What else can visitors do in Birmingham?
Birmingham is one of the most youthful cities in Great Britain and is filled with young people and a vibrant local community. Birmingham city also offers visitors a host of exquisite cafes, attractions, and buzzing outdoor locations. These local businesses will ensure you have many opportunities to get a taste of Birmingham’s culture and a fantastic tourism experience.