Coventry is a West Midlands city located approximately 31km east-southeast of Birmingham and 18km north of Warwick. It’s the second-largest city in the West Midlands and the 11th largest in the United Kingdom.
Birmingham is a favourite destination in the United Kingdom for its many shopping, cultural, and tourist attractions. During football season, fans flock to the St Andrews stadium to watch Birmingham City FC play.
Coventry’s home team, Coventry City (fondly known as the Sky Blues), is in the same league as Birmingham City. So increased traffic between these two cities is expected as football fever heightens.
Here’s an overview of getting from Coventry to Birmingham to help you decide which way suits your travel plans:
|Travel Method||Approximate Journey Time||Cost||Best For|
|Train||30 mins||From £3.41 one way||Swiftest travel|
|Coach (Bus)||45 mins||From £2.99 one way||Budget-friendly option|
|Car||34 mins||Depends on vehicle type and fuel prices||Convenient for flexible schedules|
This Article Covers:
- Coventry To Birmingham By Train: The Quickest Way
- Coventry To Birmingham By Coach: The Budget-Friendly Way
- Coventry To Birmingham By Road: Travel At Your Own Pace
- Once You’ve Arrived In Birmingham
- FAQS On Travelling From Coventry To Birmingham
Find out how to get from London Euston to Birmingham New Street by train and other ways to travel from London to Birmingham.
Discover fun day trips out of Birmingham, including a jaunt to the Black Country, Leamington Spa, and the route to the Malvern Hills.
Coventry To Birmingham By Train: The Quickest Way
The average travel time from Coventry station to Birmingham New Street station by train is 30 minutes, covering a distance of approximately 28km (17 miles). About 103 trains service this route daily, so you don’t have to worry about missing a train.
Coventry to Birmingham Train: Overview
|Journey Time||30 min average (20 min fastest)|
|Train Ticket Price||From £3.41|
|Distance||28km (17 miles)|
|Departure Train Stations||Coventry|
|Arrival Train Stations||Birmingham New Street|
|Transfers||Direct train services available|
|Train Operators||CrossCountry, Avanti West Coast, West Midlands Railway|
These train operators service the Coventry Birmingham route — Avanti West Coast, West Midlands Railway, and CrossCountry.
All three operators also stop at Birmingham International station if you need to catch a flight. From Birmingham International station, you can use the free Air-Rail link to transfer to Birmingham International Airport.
Train ticket prices from Coventry to Birmingham aren’t too high, but you can always save a little. Here are some tips on getting cheap train tickets:
- Book an Off-Peak time: Train ticket prices are usually lower when you buy at Off-Peak times.
- Book in advance: Train tickets in the United Kingdom are usually available up to 12 weeks before departure. They’ll usually be cheaper than buying a ticket on the day.
- Get a Season Ticket: If you travel from Coventry station to Birmingham New Street often, a season ticket might help you save money.
- Consider a Railcard: You can save up to ⅓ on eligible train tickets with a National Railcard. It can be an excellent investment for cheap train tickets if you travel several times annually.
Coventry To Birmingham By Coach: The Budget-Friendly Way
If you’re on a budget or have time to spare, taking a coach is a good low-cost option. While train ticket prices from Coventry to Birmingham are generally comparable to bus ticket prices, the latter does tend to be a tad cheaper, especially if you’re buying on the day.
Of course, the journey time is a little longer and will be subject to road and traffic conditions.
Coventry to Birmingham Bus: Overview
|Coach Companies||National Express||Megabus||FlixBus|
|Travel Time||40 min||40 min||40 min|
|Bus Ticket Price||£4.10||From £4.00||From £2.99|
|First Coach||00:20||02:55||Between 18:15 to 22:20 (one service daily)|
|Departure Station||Pool Meadow Bus Station||Pool Meadow Bus Station||Pool Meadow Bus Station|
|Arrival Station||Birmingham Coach Station||Brunel Street||Dudley Street|
The Coventry Birmingham bus route is generally served by these three coach companies — National Express, Megabus, and FlixBus. All three depart from Pool Meadow Bus Station in Coventry but arrive at different locations in Birmingham.
Note that Brunel Street and Dudley Street are regular bus stops. Both are less than a 5-minute walk from Birmingham New Street station.
While bus ticket prices don’t fluctuate much, they can be cheaper on some days. So it may pay off to book earlier and plan your travel around those dates.
Coventry To Birmingham By Road: Travel At Your Own Pace
There are several ways to drive from Coventry to Birmingham. The M6 route takes around 34 minutes, traversing a distance of about 38kms. You can also go via the A4114 and M6 (35km), or the A45 and Coventry Rd (32km).
Driving from Coventry to Birmingham has its pros and cons. You can set your own schedule and make detours if you wish. However, you’ll have to consider traffic conditions, parking and fuel prices.
Carpooling is an option to save journey costs. And you should also check to see if Birmingham’s CAZ charges affect your vehicle.
That said, there is a certain joy to road trips, especially if you’re not in a hurry. Here are some interesting stops you could make:
- Coventry Transport Museum: This state-of-the-art museum hosts an extensive collection of British-made transportation, from bicycles to commercial vehicles. The Coventry Transport Museum is located in Coventry city centre and is the perfect visit for a motor lover.
- Dudley Zoo and Castle: Explore the 40 acres of castle ground which was given over the town’s zoo — housing exotic mammals and reptiles.
- Black Country Living Museum: Experience life in an 1850s iron-working town at this living museum.
- Stratford-upon-Avon: This mediaeval market town in the West Midlands is the birthplace of The Bard, William Shakespeare. That’s reason enough to drop by!
- Royal Leamington Spa: This lovely town is known for its Regency architecture, beautiful parks and gardens.
Coventry City FC played in the English Premier League for 34 consecutive years (1967-2001). Today, the Sky Blues compete in the EFL Championship, with clubs like Birmingham City, Sheffield United, Nottingham Forest, and Swansea City.
Once You’ve Arrived In Birmingham
In Birmingham, public transport is easily accessible for onward travel.
Tram services and buses will get you around the city, and there are several train stations that can get you further afield. For taxis, there’s a taxi stand conveniently outside Birmingham New Street station and on Mill Lane outside the Birmingham Coach Station.
This UK city is a great destination for retail therapy, and there are plenty of museums and art galleries to indulge your artistic side. And if you’re a football fan, try catching a match at St Andrew’s.
FAQs On Travelling From Coventry To Birmingham
Have more queries on travel in Coventry and Birmingham?
Here are answers to help you out:
- How Long Does A Train Take From Coventry To Birmingham?
- What’s The Distance Between Coventry And Birmingham By Train?
- What’s The Fastest Train Journey Time Between Coventry And Birmingham?
- How Much Does A Train Ride From Coventry To Birmingham Cost?
- Is There A Direct Train Between Coventry And Birmingham?
- When Should I Book My Train Tickets From Coventry To Birmingham?
- What Amenities Are Available Onboard Coventry-Birmingham Trains?
- Does Birmingham New Street Station Have Step-Free Access?
- How Far Is The City Centre From Birmingham New Street?
- Is West Midlands Railway The Same As West Midlands Trains?
- Is There A Coach From Coventry To Birmingham International Airport?
- How Far Are Train And Bus Stations From Coventry University?
1. How Long Does A Train Take From Coventry To Birmingham?
The average train journey time from Coventry to Birmingham New Street is 30 minutes.
2. What’s The Distance Between Coventry And Birmingham By Train?
Trains from Coventry to Birmingham New Street travel around 28 km (17 miles.)
3. What’s The Fastest Train Journey Time Between Coventry And Birmingham?
The fastest train journey from Coventry to Birmingham New Street is 20 minutes.
4. How Much Does A Train Ride From Coventry To Birmingham Cost?
Train ticket prices can start from £3.41 for a trip from Coventry to Birmingham with advanced booking. Ticket prices vary based on time of the day, route, and class, and will generally be more expensive if you buy on the day.
5. Is There A Direct Train Between Coventry And Birmingham?
Yes, there are many direct trains from Coventry to Birmingham New Street.
6. When Should I Book My Train Tickets From Coventry To Birmingham?
Train tickets in the UK are usually open for booking up to 12 weeks in advance. Booking earlier may avail you of lower prices.
7. What Amenities Are Available Onboard Coventry-Birmingham Trains?
While amenities will depend on the train operator, you can generally expect seating selection, Wi-Fi service, options for First Class carriages, bag storage space, and access to electric sockets. Make sure to check with the train operator for specifics.
8. Does Birmingham New Street Station Have Step-Free Access?
Yes, Birmingham New Street station is accessible to those with mobility needs. Ramps are available for train access, and many taxis at the station offer service for wheelchair users.
9. How Far Is The City Centre From Birmingham New Street?
10. Is West Midlands Railway The Same As West Midlands Trains?
West Midlands Trains is the parent company of both West Midlands Railway (WMR) and London Northwestern Railway (LNR.)
WMR trains operate within the West Midlands region. LNR trains run in regions outside, on the West Coast Main Line and those to and from London Euston, Crewe, and Liverpool Lime Street.
11. Is There A Coach From Coventry To Birmingham International Airport?
Yes. Some coach services from Coventry stop directly at Birmingham Airport if you need to connect to a flight.
For those that don’t, you have a few options. Once in Birmingham, you can catch the X1 bus from Birmingham Coach Station to Birmingham Airport. You can also walk over to Birmingham New Street, catch a train to Birmingham International station, then grab the Air-Rail link to Birmingham International Airport.
12. How Far Are Train And Bus Stations From Coventry University?
Public transport is very accessible from Coventry University. The train station is located south of Coventry city centre and is a 10-20 minute walk away from most Coventry University campus buildings.
The Pool Meadow Bus Station is a 5-minute walk from the University’s main reception in the Alan Berry building.