If you’re a thrill seeker in Birmingham itching for extreme activities, you’re in luck! Birmingham offers one of the best indoor skydiving facilities in the United Kingdom.
This means you can experience the thrill of skydiving without jumping out of an aeroplane!
Here’s all you need to know about indoor skydiving Birmingham. We’ll give you all the details on what you’ll experience, the location, pricing, key requirements, and important FAQs.
Craving Italian food? Check out these 20 splendid Italian Restaurants in Birmingham.
Also, explore these trendy Cocktail Bars in Birmingham.
This Article Contains:
- Indoor Skydiving Birmingham: The Bear Grylls Adventure Park
- What You’ll Experience At the Bear Grylls Adventure Centre
- Address, Contact Details & How to Get There
- Participation Requirements
- Other Activities at the Park
- Other FAQs on Indoor Skydiving Birmingham
Indoor Skydiving Birmingham: The Bear Grylls Adventure Park
Whether you’re a first-time flyer or an experienced skydiver, an indoor skydiving experience can be unique.
Fortunately, Birmingham has a state-of-the-art facility called the Bear Grylls Adventure Park, offering indoor skydiving packages.
Does the name ring a bell?
That’s because it’s named after Bear Grylls Obe, a worldwide celebrity best known for his work with the Emmy Award-nominated “Man vs Wild” TV series. The man even has his own Madame Tussauds mannequin.
The Bear Grylls Adventure Centre at the National Exhibition Centre (NEC Birmingham) is a Merlin Entertainment attraction. This adrenaline-pumping indoor and outdoor adventure centre offers a variety of exhilarating experiences.
More importantly, it’s home to iFLY Birmingham. iFLY is the world leader in indoor skydiving tunnels and currently operates over 89 tunnels worldwide. This includes famous locations in Westchester, New York and the Trafford Centre, Manchester.
The iFLY indoor skydiving wind tunnel at Bear Grylls Adventure Birmingham lets you experience two flights. These are equivalent to the free-falling times of three actual parachute jumps from 12,000ft!
What You’ll Experience At the Bear Grylls Adventure Centre
Here’s a breakdown of what’s waiting for you once you sign up for the indoor skydiving experience:
- A complete 60-minute iFLY indoor skydiving adventure
- Two one-minute flights inside the skydiving wind tunnel
- Comprehensive briefing from an expert adventure guide
- Necessary flight and safety equipment
- Unlimited access to a Royal Marine Assault Course
What does the Royal Marine Assault Course refer to?
The Bear Grylls Adventure’s Royal Marines-inspired Assault Course is a range of obstacles that will challenge guests to a survival test as they race against their friends and family. Survival barriers include scramble nets, monkey bars, traverse beams and a-frames.
With every ticket you purchase at the Bear Grylls Adventure Park, you get unlimited access to their assault course.
Address, Contact Details & How to Get There
Address: National Exhibition Centre (NEC Birmingham), Halls, Marston Green, Birmingham B40 1NT, United Kingdom
Customer Service Contact Details
You can call or email the adventure park for more information.
Customer Service Phone: 0121 725 2616
Nearest Train Station: Birmingham International Train Station (the birmingham international train station is a 18 minute walk from the adventure park)
Nearest Bus Stations: Arden Hotel (8 minute walk) and Birmingham International Station (Stop Sb) (11 minute walk)
Nearest Car Park: The Bear Grylls Adventure Centre Car Park (NEC East 5) and the Resorts World Car Park.
Tip: Parking at Resorts World can be cheaper if you’re planning to spend money at the venue. If you spend £20 at the venue, you can park for up to 12 hours for just £2.50.
Thursday: 9 am to 5 pm
Friday: 9 am to 5 pm
Saturday: 9 am to 7 pm
Sunday: 9 am to 6 pm
The park is usually closed on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays (except for private bookings and special occasions). Check for the latest news and updates on the website or social media before visiting.
Here’s how much it costs to experience indoor skydiving at Bear Grylls Adventure Birmingham:
Prior Online Booking: £52 per participant
On-spot Booking: £65 per participant
Here are some special requirements if you want to try indoor skydiving at the Bear Grylls Adventure Park:
- All participants must be 8+ years old to experience this Merlin Entertainment attraction.
- Eight and nine-year-olds must be accompanied by a participating adult aged 18 or over during the activity. The participating adult must have a full activity ticket.
- Participants aged 10 to16 years will need an adult present at check-in to sign waivers.
- A risk declaration form must be signed for iFLY indoor skydiving.
- All participating guests must also fill out the general attraction waiver.
- Participants must weigh less than 114kg (251 pounds).
- Participants must not be taller than 6ft 7”.
- Pregnant women and people who have previously suffered a shoulder dislocation won’t be permitted to fly.
Other Activities at the Park
The other activities at Bear Grylls Park include:
- High ropes (Europe’s tallest high rope challenge with 36 high rope obstacles)
- Escape room (a 60-minute team escape room experience)
- Indoor archery (a 45-minute indoor archery quest)
- Indoor climbing (including a bouldering cave indoor climb and indoor climbing on walls)
- Scuba diving (120-minute scuba diving and an oceanarium experience), etc.
Other FAQs on Indoor Skydiving Birmingham
Don’t worry if you still have some questions about indoor skydiving. Read on to find the answers.
1. How Does Indoor Skydiving Work?
Indoor skydiving can help you experience what it’s like to fly and experience a freefall.
The activity is done in a huge vertical wind cylinder. The wind blows from the bottom of this tunnel, keeping your body afloat.
With the right body posture, you can feel as if you’re experiencing a freefall through the sky. If you’re a thrill seeker that’s dreaming of skydiving with the amazing views of El Capitan or Mount Everest, you can start with indoor skydiving. It’s always recommended that you try the indoor adventure before experiencing outdoor skydiving.
2. What Does Indoor Skydiving Training Look Like?
Indoor skydiving involves detailed training from an expert adventure guide. The steps involved in the actual process will look something like this:
- Enter the simulator at an inclined angle to ensure a safe entry into the tunnel.
- Learn the right body posture to maintain safety.
- Get used to the airflow in the wind tunnel.
- Learn how to turn within the tunnel.
- Learn how to move forward and backwards.
- And finally, learn how to move up and down in the wind tunnel.
3. What Can You Expect to Experience While Indoor Skydiving?
There are two important things you should be aware of before taking part in this activity.
Firstly, you can expect to be hit by the air strongly blowing at you from the bottom of the wind tunnel. Secondly, this activity can be very noisy. However, you’ll likely get used to these factors in no time.
4. When’s the Best Time for Indoor Skydiving?
You don’t have to worry about the weather since this unique experience will take place indoors. Make sure to check the latest news and updates on the venue’s website and social media to ensure they’re operating when you visit.
5. Is Indoor Skydiving Painful?
Indoor skydiving is not a death-defying outdoor adventure sport and is generally safe. Worst-case scenario, you may bump into the wind tunnel wall and go home with a bruise, a bump, or a scrape.
6. What Should You Wear While Indoor Skydiving?
While you will be given a skydiving flight suit before your session, it’s best to wear comfortable clothes underneath the flight suit. Additionally, ensure that you’re wearing secured shoes and not slippers that can easily fall off.